Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Oregon Coast


Bike Baptism

Sunday June 18th
Destination: Nehalem Bay State Park near Manzanita, Oregon
Today took forever to come and arrived instantly. I had to smile thinking about the dream finally taking wings. My parents joined us for the weekend at Ocean Park and this morning we drove out on the beach so I could take my bike and baptize it in the Pacific. I wasn’t going to risk full immersion and settled for just setting the tires on the wet sand.
It was a good ride today with strong tailwinds and just a couple of rain showers. I haven’t ridden in over a week so decided to take it easy today. Going over the Astoria bridge was aided by strong tailwinds. The route took backroads to Seaside that were much better than Highway 101.
I kept wondering if Jani and Kira were doing okay and hoped they wouldn’t be too bored. That was a waste of time since I made it to the campground before they did. Jani was able to stop at all the garage sales and thrift stores that I always complain about. It was a great way to start the trip.
Mileage: 75/75

Jani: He beat me to the campground in Nehalem. There was even a thrift store/recycling place right at the beginning of the campground that I had to skip. I talked the store owner at one store(in Long Beach) into a bag sale (she said just for you though). I knew it would be a great day. So I got one bag of cool hippie shirts there, and nothing else for the rest of the day except a lot of fun looking in antique stores. Kira is happy to ride along and go for a walk whenever I’m inclined. Camp site was right next to the beach access and across the street from the showers/restroom. Lots of dog interaction and people visiting with us. Surprisingly the corgi wanted to play with Kira.


Cannon Beach


Nehalem Bay State Park

Monday June 19th
Destination: Cape Lookout State Park (southwest of Tilamook, Oregon)
It rained first thing this morning but stayed dry after that. Once again the route followed side roads instead of 101. The traffic was so light that most of the time I could ride in the middle of the lane. Tailwinds blew me to Tilamook but I paid the price going north around Three Capes. It was cloudy and cool all morning then cleared off and is now sunny and beautiful.
I’m still taking it easy on the bike and look forward to getting my legs and having the confidence to push when it feels good. At this point my biggest concern is to not do something stupid. There’s just too much at stake.
The park sits next to a great beach. It’s the kind of place that would be fun to stay for several days. Tomorrow’s route will head east to Salem where we’ll visit my cousin MaryRuth and her family.
Mileage: 49/124

Jani: Today was Murphy’s Law, nothing worked out for me with the clothing picking. Places were closed when they were posted to be open. Had ice cream/red vines to console myself. Donated our beach chairs because they are impossible to get out of and hurt your back. Picked out a nice spot to camp, bunnies and squirrels all over the park, and a pristine beach to walk and play on.


Cape Lookout State Park

Tuesday June 20th
Destination: Salem
After stopping to watch surfers at Cape Kiwanda we headed inland. We had so much fun along the ocean it was hard to leave but it was nice to finally head east. The route followed old 101 from Neskowin to Otis and it was a beautiful detour with no cars. As the road climbed through the forest the only sound was the singing of numerous winter wrens and I finally began to relax and settle into the trip. I still don’t think ahead more than a few days but am beginning to find a rhythm.
When I rejoined the highway there was a lot of traffic but I know the route only takes highways when there aren’t any good back roads. I met Jani in Rickreall then we drove through Salem to MaryRuth’s house. It was good to see everyone and their beautiful home. The van is comfortable but it’s nice to be able to move around without stepping on each other.
Mileage: 79/203

Jani: Pacific City has a pretty beach. I remember being there with Jeff when Gary rode his bike down the coast to California. We were there early, so Kira had a chance to run on the beach before too many people showed up. Then Gary arrived and we played the running back and forth game with Kira. Stopped at a book store that had been operating for 40 years, new/used. I could have spent all day there. I arrived early in Rickreall so decided to look at Monmouth, only 6 miles further. Discovered people setting up a store to sell dead stock items from a store that had closed 20 years ago. They let me shop even though the sale was to start Friday. I bought 27 pairs of sta-press Levi’s/blue box champion shorts and cool hats, then shipped them home. We spent a wonderful time with Kevin/Tori/MaryRuth/Jana. Kevin made a gourmet salmon dinner. We played MaryRuth’s game Krijavi. Sort of like Scatagories but a fun version. Slept in our van in their driveway.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on truckin', Gary. may you have tailwinds to the Idaho border. Keep on buyin', Jani! May all your towns have plenty of loot. Hope you can go over "Dead Horse Grade" to McKenzie Pass!

-Steve F.

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So last weekend you finally turned your back on the Pacific Ocean for the next three months... I know that feeling.
Good luck and take it easy, we are watching you in europe when the soccer is not on, remember, if you think you are going slow at least you're faster than a A380 delivery.


Daz
Austria

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary,
Just letting you know we're following your progress in the office and hoping everything goes well for you. Hopefully you get to celebrate your Fourth of July some place festive. Take and post plenty of pictures, its the trip of a lifetime!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Teannaroo said...

The van looks good, hope its working well! I love that section of road between Neskowin and Otis as well. Keep those pedals turning.

Jan K
Melbourne, Australia

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,
I'm really enjoying your trip updates. My 16 year old daughter Lizz and I just finished the STP this last weekend. We did 120 miles the first day and finished with about 83 the second day. I couldn't imagine doing this day after day like you are, and with the elevation that you are seeing. We're all cheering for you! I hope your leg feels better. Thanks for keeping all of us posted on your progress. Best of luck through the rest of your trip.

Gary R.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home