Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Not the Whole Summer This Time

I thought I'd finished this blog three years ago, but once again it seems like the easiest way to keep in touch during an extended trip. Last time it was Jani, Kira, and I going across the US in 12 weeks. This time it will be me, bicycling in Spain, for four weeks.

Bike touring in Europe has been a dream for awhile. One dream among many others. What put Spain atop the list were the three separate trips I took there in 2007. Boeing was working with a company in Vitoria (northern Spain) and I was lucky enough to go there for design reviews. I also managed to add side-trips to Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and San Sebastian. Seeing some of the country made me want to see more. One trip always seems to beget three more.

I spent a lot of time two rainy Christmas' ago staring at maps, planning a large loop around Northern Spain, going close but not too close to Madrid. I found that most of the cities I wanted to visit could be combined in a 1500 mile trip starting on the north coast in Bilbao. Bilbao is a large city, but not nearly as intimidating as Madrid. From there I will head east to the Picos de Europa, a small but significant mountain range near the coast. Hopefully the weather will be good and I'll be able to spend several days in and around the mountains. After that my route will go between cities that I've wanted to visit: Leon, Zamora, Salamanca, Segovia, Avila, Toledo, Cuenca, Pamplona, San Sebastian, and back to Bilbao.

I need to give credit to my brother for helping kick me in the butt, even if it was unintentional. Last fall I was still talking about cycling in Spain even though I'd done nothing to make it happen. His reply was, "Is this the same trip you were talking about last year?" I didn't want to let another year go by and decided to finally make it come true. Buying a special bike that fits in a suitcase for airline travel gave me even more incentive. It will never pay for itself (unless the airlines start charging much more than $100 to carry regular size bikes) but I'll have fun trying to justify the bike.

Trip Details:
I leave on May 30th, arrive in Bilbao on the 31st, and start cycling on June 1st. The route should require about 19 days of cycling, leaving me with seven days off whenever and wherever needed. I need to be back in Bilbao on June 26th for my flight home on the 27th. I also want to leave a day open for visiting the people I've worked with in Vitoria.

Here is my route:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ZRI
Muy buena suerte.

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home