Monday, July 31, 2006

Into the Fourth Quarter

We now have just under 1000 miles left to Yorktown, Virginia.

Friday July 28th
Destination: Chester, Illinois
I got a late start since it was only 50 miles to Chester. I met two women riding west and we shared information about the route. Each time I talk with west bounders we have the combined knowledge of every Transam mile but can only talk about what is behind us and have to guess at what’s ahead. I thought I was out of the steep hills and told the women about the climbs they had coming up. They seemed a little dismayed. After we parted I began to run into a lot of steep hills and realized that the women had just ridden those hills and must have thought the hills I’d ridden were much worse. In retrospect the hills ahead of them were no harder than the ones behind but we had no way of knowing that. We riders are like the mythical Janus with two faces; one looks back to the east, and one looks back to the west but neither can see what lies ahead.
When I crossed the Mississippi it not only meant that I was entering Illinois but that I’d made it out of Missouri without encountering a single rogue driver. I did get one comment about Spandex while riding through Eminence. That was stupid, didn’t the guy know that I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing Spandex. I only wear Lycra.
Jani met me in Chester and we drove about 80 miles north to Godfrey, Illinois. We’re staying the night with Tom, his wife Jane, daughter Betsy, and son Will. Tom works for Boeing St. Louis and I worked with him while he spent three months in Everett this year. It’s really fun to have a short break from the normal routine and visit with them. Tomorrow we’re going to St. Louis to see the city but primarily to see the Gateway Arch. We could see it off to the west while driving this afternoon and are looking forward to seeing it up close.
Mileage: 50/3105 Transam Riders: 4 today/47 total for the trip















Mississippi River Bridge from Chester, Illinois

Saturday July 29th
This was the fourth day on the trip with no riding and the first since Boulder, Colorado two weeks ago. It was nice to sleep in and spend a leisurely morning with Tom and his family. Tom drove us into the city where we visited the arch. After watching an informative movie about building the arch we rode the small elevator cars to the top. Since the cars are inside the arch there was no feeling of height but they’re very small and could be claustrophobic. The view from 630’ in the air was impressive. The arch seems the perfect blend of a simple aesthetic concept combined with impressive engineering and construction.
Before we left Tom and Jane’s she presented me with a denim shirt. She had embroidered a bicycle and the words “Transamerica ‘06” on the front. It was a complete surprise and I’ll wear it with pride. We can’t thank them enough for the hospitality they showed us.


Jani, Gary, and Gateway Arch

Sunday July 30th
Destination: Elizabethtown, Illinois
We spent a very hot and sticky night camped just north of Chester. When we got up it was cool but still muggy. Jani dropped me off in Chester with the understanding that we’d be staying in a motel tonight. The riding was nice but big thunderstorms to the south were threatening. Luckily the route seemed to keep me just to the edge of the lightning. Close enough to be exciting but just far enough away for comfort. The countryside was much like eastern Missouri with a lot of trees, corn, and soy bean fields. It was still hilly but enjoyable since the hills weren’t that steep. After noon it started to get really hot. It was still cool on the descents but I had to take it very slow on the uphill or risk overheating. When we got to Golconda the only motel was completely booked for a funeral. There are worse things than not finding a motel room. We were lucky to find a room just up the road in Elizabethtown. The Inn only allows pets in their guest cottage so we’re forced to put up with a bedroom, living room, kitchen, and Jacuzzi bath. Life’s tough.
This town is very scenic. It’s on the bank of the Ohio River which looks like a lake except for the occasional barge that passes by. We can see Kentucky across the river and will be there tomorrow.
Mileage: 110/3215 Transam Riders: 0 today/47 total for the trip


Thunderheads near Murphysboro, Illinois

Monday July 31st
Destination: Sebree, Kentucky
I got a late start this morning since it was so relaxing at the cottage. After yesterday’s longer ride I felt justified in a shorter ride today. The destination was also set by it’s vicinity to Henderson which is large enough to have motels. There were many times when we wanted campsites and could only find motels, now it’s just the opposite. With daytime highs in the 90’s and nighttime low temperatures about 80 degrees we’ve forsaken the van in favor of air conditioning.
The heat index today was 107 degrees. In a twisted way I’m glad to be riding in this extreme heat. For over a year the heat and humidity were the biggest unknowns of the trip. Everyone seems to have their horror tales about the heat and there wasn’t anything I could do to prepare, but I’ve now met my adversary and am a little relieved. It can get hotter, but the extreme heat advisories prove that this is more than just normal temperatures. I don’t want to downplay the conditions. The heat is a worthy challenger. It might very well be too much if combined with headwinds and/or really steep hills but so far I’ve been lucky with light winds and more rolling terrain. The biggest concession is that I spend all day expending as little effort as possible. If I push too hard I overheat so I ride as gently as possible, coast downhill and soft pedal uphill.
I caught my first eastbound rider today and rode with him for a bit. He’s loaded down and slower on the hills so I ended up riding on. His gear choices are the opposite of mine: recumbent bicycle, two wheeled trailer, hiking boots, hiking shorts, t-shirt, and no bike computer. We’re all riding the same route but in our own way.
Once again the plan for tomorrow is to start just before sunrise. I’ve only been successful a couple of times and it will be complicated by the 20 mile drive back to Sebree from Henderson.
Mileage: 65/3270 Transam Riders: 1 today/48 total for the trip


Ohio River ferry between Illinois and Kentucky

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you were able to skirt the bad weather in Missouri, the news here showed some pretty bad wind damage and floods. Also glad to hear you hooked up Tom and his family, must be nice to have a tour guide!
GPW

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home