Saturday, July 01, 2006

Into Montana

Thursday June 29th
Destination: Lowell, Idaho
This was the day it finally cooled down which was good except that it came with rain, but that wasn’t too annoying since it was still 70 degrees. At least we won’t be drowning in our sweat when we go to sleep tonight.
Today’s route followed the Salmon River, climbed over White Bird Pass, followed the South Fork of the Clearwater, then went up the Lochsa River to Lowell. This was the same route that the Nez Perce Indians took as they tried to escape to Canada. They fought battles near White Bird and Stites then fled over Lolo Pass which is where we are going tomorrow.
I stopped to talk with two Dutch women east of Grangeville. They started in New York then cycled to Virginia to hook up with the Transam trail. They won’t stop when they get to Florence Oregon but will turn south and ride to Los Angeles. Leave it to foreign tourists to make you feel like you haven’t seen anything of your own country.
The weather is cloudy but dry which will be important tomorrow as Lolo Pass is 5325’. I don’t mind climbing in the rain but it gets cold on the descents. Well it just started raining again and thundering but I shouldn’t waste time worrying about it because all I have to do right now is go to bed.
Mileage: 99/908 Transam riders: 2/5


New Career Opportunity


Flowers near Whitebird

Friday June 30th
Destination: Powell, Idaho
I got dehydrated today and had to stop short at Powell. Yesterday’s rain was gone by morning and the clouds dispersed to make for nice weather. Unfortunately there was no drinking water available for 66 miles and I was probably already dehydrated from yesterday. It’s hard to remember to drink when you’re being soaked on the outside. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by carrying iodine tablets to purify a few quarts out of the millions of gallons of water I rode by today. But that would have meant heeding my own advice.
It may be just as well that I stopped early since my legs can probably use a little rest. I’ll find out tomorrow if I’m recovered. From our camp we’ll climb to Lolo Pass, downhill to the town of Lolo, then relatively flat up the Bitterroot Valley to Hamilton or Darby.
I met my first eastbound Transam rider this afternoon. He asked us for a ride to Missoula because his wheel had a broken spoke. We told him we aren’t planning to go into Missoula but I could fix his wheel. He didn’t believe me at first but soon realized that I had the necessary tools and we got him back on the road. It turns out that he and two others have leapfrogged us at least a couple of times over the last week and a half. My misfortune of having to stop early today was his good fortune. It’ll be interesting to see if we cross paths again.
Mileage: 69/977 Transam riders: 1/6


Lochsa River

Saturday July 1st
Destination: Hamilton, Montana
Today went well so I’m sure that yesterday’s problems were caused by dehydration. It was a comfortable 48 degrees when we got up this morning and stayed nice for the climb to Lolo Pass. We crossed into Montana at the pass then had a nice descent to Lolo. I forgot to take my map with me and ended up riding along Highway 93 instead of side roads from Lolo to Hamilton. Yesterday I rode without my pump and today without the map. I can see that I’m a bit too relaxed and need to pay more attention.
Today’s bumper sticker philosophy is: “Don’t Postpone Joy”. Those are words I can live with.
I talked with a rider headed west out of Lolo. He’s from north of London and started with the first rider I met back in McKenzie Bridge, Oregon. I asked him about riders ahead of me but he doesn’t know since he took a different route through Montana.
Things are busy because of the holiday weekend. We’ve always been able to find an RV Park or campground but that may be tough for the next few nights. Tomorrow the route continues up the Bitterroot Valley, over Lost Trail and Chief Joseph Pass (7241’), then down to Wisdom. We’ll stop along the way at Big Hole Battlefield National Monument which is another site on the Nez Perce Trail. It looks like we’ll be up around 6000’ so it should be cooler.
Mileage: 84/1061 Transam riders: 1/7

Jani:
Going over Lolo Pass at a leisurely rate was really fun because I got to stop and look at the wildlife and rivers. Usually we’re at breakneck speed going to Salmon, Idaho which is where my grandparents lived.
I ended up on the back roads that Gary was supposed to have ridden. I found them by following signs to a Flea Market. Why couldn’t he find it? Kira got to play with another dog at a garage sale house. The bugs are out so we’re sitting in the van.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,

Been reading your adventures. Almost made me forget I was sitting in Bothell! You need to post a map of your route and progress. You can even color code it - green for easy, yellow for kinda hard, red for too hot. You can use your experience of making stop light charts!

Good Luck.
Santini

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, Jani, Kira
Thank you so much for the stories. Please keep them up I love reading them.
My wife and I kept a blog going when we went to Russia for 8 months and we got all kinds of people e-mailing us. Everyone loves to read a good adventure story.
We posted more pictures though:
www.smg.photobucket.com/albums/v667/kikiandjason/

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jani and Gary,
I sent a really long email but I do not know if you got it. I was so happy to get back from the antique show and hear your voice on the phone message. I really miss you and when I want to hear you I replay the message. Please send your phone number so I can call you. I went for the spinal injections today. They sure knocked me for a loop this afternoon. Funny how they effect me differently each time. I think the rental is rented. Yes!!!! I had gone down to Moms to clean her china cabinets and the contents for her, top of the cupboards etc and just got back yesterday. Madeline is in Isreal for a month. BOOOO!! I read your blog the last time I wrote and it sounds like the three of you are having a great time. I think of you all the time. You are in my thoughts. Love, Teresa, John, Emily and Chloe
PS I made a deal with a neighbor to walk their dog - Lady and she is great. All black and about Kyra's size. She is a joy.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home