Thursday, June 29, 2006

North through Idaho

Tuesday June 27th
Technically we’re not in Hells Canyon but we can see the furnace door and it’s open. I think today was the hottest day I’ve ever ridden. We’re camped at Brownlee Dam just over the border into Idaho. It’s 8PM, the sun has been behind the ridge for an hour, and it’s still 93 degrees.
We had breakfast this morning with Tom and Lucy who are doing a credit card tour around the Wallowas. It was fun to see friends as it helps to break up the trip.
Yesterday when I rode into town my shifter was acting up and almost not working by the time I found Jani. I started running through scenarios of ordering a new shifter and wondering how long it would take to get to Baker City. On the chance that it just needed lube I bought some and sprayed the internal mechanism. While I was looking at the bike I noticed something on the shift cable. I peeled off what turned out to be dried slug guts and the shifter is working great.
Just out of Baker City I caught 6 people who are part of a group of about 20 doing a supported ride. Everything was fine until one of the guys jumped on my wheel then it was off to the races. Each time I would back off a bit I would see four of them chasing me and would forget about trying to take it easy. It made for a quick 40 miles to Richland. The 1000’ climb out of Richland was made harder by the heat but Jani helped by stopping to give me water half way to the top. Then it was downhill for over 20 miles to Oxbow. There were only 12 miles left to go but they seemed harder than the previous 69 miles. It was scenic along the Snake River Reservoir but was so hot that I resorted to thinking about work to make it seem better.
It’s nice to be in a new state and we look forward to crossing to Cambridge then following Hwy 95 north past McCall. There are a few high clouds overhead but it’s hard to tell if they will come to anything. With all this heat I’d expect to see thunderheads forming. Time will tell.
Mileage: 81/698 Transam riders: 0/3


In Baker City


Halfway Oregon with the Wallowa Mountains


Our camp on the Snake River

Wednesday June 28th
This morning started with a 2000’ foot climb out of the Snake River Valley. The air felt humid next to the reservoir so it was nice to climb up to cooler air. The road then dropped down to Cambridge where I heard two locals talking about how hot it is. They may say that every day but it still made me feel better.
I rode along Hwy 95 through Council, and New Meadows, to Riggins. Today was the worst day for trying to get accurate mileages. Nothing matched, not my bike map, the state road map, the mileage signs, or the mileposts. The worst examples are when a sign will say “x” miles to a destination then another sign a few miles further will say “x + 2” miles. Usually I find them amusing but today was a long day and I wanted to know exactly how far I needed to ride.
The road through New Meadows was higher and not as hot but as I descended down the Little Salmon River Valley the wind felt like a hair drier. It’s still hot at our camp next to the Salmon River but feels like it will “cool” down a little tonight. There is a thin overcast which may keep it from getting as hot tomorrow. I saw one thundershower today and actually got a few raindrops but it didn’t amount to anything.
Several people have told me that there is a group of riders a day ahead. It will be interesting to see if we ever meet.
Mileage: 111/809 Transam riders: 0/3

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary and Jani, Thanks for the posts. It was fun to read about the group trying to keep up with you. It's hot here and hard to tolerate the 8 mile commute. Whew. Just had both your old bikes in the LBS to many oohs and ahhs of appreciation at seeing well used antiques.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Teannaroo said...

2000' climb followed by 111 miles in the heat - sounds like a challenging day. I'm really enjoying your reports - keep em' coming. Hope you get some cooler weather too.

Nights warm too? I imagine that may become a challenge as you get into the second half of your trip.

Jan

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gary, I forgot to tell you that the road along the Salmon river was were I crashed and broke my leg five years ago. I'm glad it was kinder to you! I can't believe it's so hot you had to think about WORK! I pitty those other riders who tried to keep up with you....what a blast!
later,
GPW

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home