Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Across Wyoming



Sunday July 9th
Destination: Dubois, Wyoming
This was a day of extremes. It was the highest I’ve been (9658’), the hardest rain, and the strongest headwinds. The climb up Togwotee (“toh-goh-tee”) Pass was nice except for the thunderstorms around me. Even so I was lucky that the road wound its way between the thunderstorms and the lightning wasn’t directly overhead. As I neared the summit there were stretches covered with pea size hail so I couldn’t complain too much about the torrential rain on the descent. Once the rain ended the wind picked up and it was a struggle riding into it. Then for dessert the road was torn up for about ten miles. It started out as just torn up then the asphalt completely disappeared and I had to ride on dirt and gravel . I guess they’re supposed to shuttle bikes over that section but not on Sundays. So all in all it was good I didn’t have to ride far today. The thunderstorms and headwinds may be tempered by finishing earlier in the day. If I’m ambitious I’ll get an early start in the morning.
There is a German rider camped next to us. He is the first non-English foreign rider I’ve met.
Mileage: 56/1500 Transam Riders: 1/13


Wyoming Highway?

Monday July 10th
Destination: Lander, Wyoming
Today was a quick day of riding, partly because the scattered towns dictate how far we can go, and because I had great tailwinds for the first part of the morning. The higher speed was also aided by terrain that was rolling but predominately downhill. Once again thunderstorms and headwinds formed in the afternoon confirming the early morning start.
Lander is a nice sized town with a real West feeling. It doesn’t look like it’s been designed for tourists. We spent time looking around shops and in the city park trying to stay cool.
I met a Dutch rider who is west bound. He says he saw two riders going my direction just a little east of here. I get the feeling that there could be dozens of riders going our direction and I would only see them by accident.
I’m not sure where we’ll be tomorrow. Rawlins is the only town of decent size but its 125 miles away. That’s not too far if the winds and/or thunderstorms act up. We’ll see.
Mileage: 75/1575 Transam Riders: 1/14


The Wind River east of Dubois

Tuesday July 11th
Destination: Rawlins, Wyoming
I have spent almost 1500 miles on the lookout for snakes. I have jumped like a little girl at fanbelts, bungie cords, pieces of truck tire, sticks, even squiggly patches of tar on the road. This morning the rehearsals ended when I came within a foot of riding over a three foot rattlesnake (that’s about 35” longer than any snake should grow). The devious serpent was laid out straight and motionless in order to deceive me. After a few choice swear words I circled back to look. His head was on the white line with his body stretched out on the shoulder. I couldn’t see any movement (from ten feet away) but I didn’t see signs of injury either. By coincidence Jani had stopped a few hundred yards up the road. When she heard about the snake she turned around for a look. Her report didn’t help my confidence since she said that it moved off the road into the grass at a good rate of speed. She also said that it blended in perfectly. That’s more information than my active imagination needs. The good news was that my shorts dried out quickly and the cars didn’t seem to mind that I was riding in the middle of the highway. I think they were curious that someone could stay upright while quaking like a leaf.
Other than the snake encounter the rest of the ride was okay but a little on the long side. We’ve been warned that there’s a lot of nothing across Wyoming but it didn’t seem that bad. Once again I think it’s a lot more interesting on a bike than in a car. The Oregon Trail went through the same area and in places I could see wagon ruts across the hills. There was also a marsh area where the pioneers could dig down and find ice in the summer. That and the snow fences along the highway speak to just how cold it must be here in the winter.
My ride was 4 miles short because I had told Jani to come looking for me at 4PM. 121 miles was more than long enough and I was happy to drive the last bit into town.
Mileage: 121/1696 Transam Riders: 0/14

Jani: Gary’s been setting his alarm earlier each day. Today’s wakeup call came at 5:30 am. Isn’t that the middle of the night? I managed to scrape the van along the metal post at the campsite and get not one scrape but three good ones. Can I blame it on lack of caffeine? No such luck, Gary made hearty oatmeal and strong black coffee (we’re never denied).
I enjoyed the red rock scenery and rock formations, even the snake encounter was interesting. I couldn’t believe how he just sort of floated over the vegetation with his head held high. Kira and I hang out every day with the van trying to stay cool. I entertained myself with antique store shopping and walking all over Rawlins. We’re in a KOA campground again with a swimming pool, which I’m going to try to use each time. I even enjoy doing the laundry, just getting away from the van and the dog for a little while helps.


Open spaces north of Rawlins

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting closer to Jeffrey City! Meanwhile I read this in an internet cafe in Granada. Life´s rough for us non-cyclists.

-SF

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surprised you didn't set your daily speed & mileage record after the snake, figured you would be in Colorado by now. You got the Scotch for back up.

dm

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. Now I know what to get you for your "return home" gift...

Just kidding - you make even the tough days sound like a joy. Still envious, even without bike grease in my blood.

BB

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home