Thursday, May 28, 2009

Preparation

In my usual fashion I have obsessed, fretted, and worried every imaginable detail and won't stop until the rubber hits the road. The plan is to stay in hotels which means the bike will be heavy, but much lighter than self-contained touring. As I mentioned before, the bike is new, and specially built for travel. It is a normal steel road bike (Rodrigues Rainier from R&E cycles) with couplings that allow the frame to be split into two parts. It fits in a suitcase 10x26x26 inches which is right at the limit of what airlines will carry without extra charges.


Bike ready to be packed


Packed


Ready for the airplane

Most of my gear consists of clothing for on and off the bike. I'm also well stocked with electronics: Ipod, camera, and mini laptop (netbook). Hopefully these devices will help me enjoy the journey instead of taking it for me.

I did a shakedown trip a few weekends ago, riding from home through Arlington and LaConner to Deception Pass State Park for the night. The next day I completed the loop down Whidbey Island to the Mukilteo ferry. It was a very valuable trip because I finally decided against taking camping gear, and was also reminded that patience is the most valuable asset for touring. Strength and impatience are no match for weakness with lots of patience. Something about aspiring to be the tortoise instead of the hare. Anyone who's ridden with me knows that I almost never identify with the slow and steady philosophy, but there is no denying F=ma when dealing with a large mass.


About to get a lesson in patience the hard way


LaConner Bridge


Ebey's Landing on Whidbey Island

One of the attractions of touring Spain is the opportunity to improve my rudimentary Spanish. I have been studying in my spare time. Four weeks on my own should really help force me speak Spanish. I'm a little apprehensive which is a good indication that this trip is pushing my boundaries.

1 Comments:

Blogger ADappen said...

Looking forward to see how the trip transpires. Buena suerte...y viajes.

Andreo Dapeno (el periodisto perezoso.

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home