Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bilbao

Saturday May 30th
I'm at Seatac waiting for my flight to Frankfurt with feelings reminiscent of starting my ride three years ago. This day has taken forever to get here and at the same time has arrived instantly. In a few days I hope to relive another feeling I experienced riding cross-country; laughing out loud at the sheer joy of living out another dream.

Sunday May 31st
Well this is it, I'm here. The flights went smoothly and I arrived in Bilbao at 1PM. My baggage wasn't showing up and it started to feel like one of the Boeing trips through Bilbao when my suitcase didn't find me for four days. An airport worker finally came over to tell me and a few other lost souls that the international baggage came out on a different carousel. Sure enough both bags were there going around in circles.

I'm staying in the same hotel that I used in 2007. It's nice to have something familiar, and I have one less worry since they will keep my bike case until I come back on the 26th.

After assembling my bike and doing a short test ride I spent a few hours walking around the city near my hotel. It's Sunday so the shops are closed, but like the other European cities I've visited, the streets are filled with people of all ages. Torturing locals with incomprehensible Spanish is one of my goals and I got started right away. Some of them are very receptive while others (some bartenders) are too busy to teach me remedial language skills. Oh well, it should only get better from this day forward and no one has laughed at me.......yet. I alternate between feelings of "oh no what have I done" to "four weeks won't be long enough and we should just move here."



1 Comments:

Anonymous Steve P said...

Whoa hey, this is a travel blog and not one bit of flight info is to be found? Airline, aircraft, routes, runways, flight times, in-flight meal description...?

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home