Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cuenca

June 14, 2009
I got to Cuenca by 1PM. There were strong headwinds for the first half. I saw windmills on the horizon when I left Tarancon. That usually isn't a good sign. The terrain didn't offer any break from the wind so I just had to keep going and not think about it too much. The second half was better because: it was higher and trees were growing; the wind died down; I was able to get off the freeway onto smaller roads; and I finally found a bar open for coffee. This is my third Sunday and it's more difficult because a lot of places are closed.

My room has air conditioning and wireless. At this stage it almost doesn't matter what else is in the room. The rest of the room is nice though. It's interesting since this is the first room I've had since Bilbao that has any traffic noise. Almost without exception the room have all been dead quiet at night.

There was a religious procession just ending as I got into town. I don't know what it was all about.


Religious Procession

Cuenca's old town is built on a rock promontory. Many of the houses and buildings continue straight up from the cliff sides. I think this is another day trip destination from Madrid. It wasn't very crowded this afternoon.


Cliff edge of the old town


It was bad lighting, but these are the most photographed buildings


Old town main plaza



View Larger Map

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home