Friday, June 12, 2009

Officially Hot

June 12, 2009
I made it 87 miles to Toledo. I now know that “Holy Toledo” applies to the temperature. If today doesn’t qualify as hot; I’m in trouble.

I left Avila at sunrise. The light on the city walls was beautiful, and the only other things moving were hundreds of swifts.


The town wall at sunrise.


Requisite shadow rider photo

The road climbed up to open range land, dropped into oak woodlands, then climbed up to pine forests. The landscape reminded me of California. It’s amazing how many different types of countryside there are in Spain.


California?

About 50 miles from Avila the hills ended and I was back into rolling hills of wheat. Some of the fields were being harvested as I rode by. This area looked very much like eastern Washington.


I was comfortable in the shade.

The road got much busier the closer I got to Toledo. Once in the city, it took me awhile to find a hotel. The Old Town is a veritable rat maze of narrow streets, and they can be very steep. This is the hardest city to find my way around. I didn’t know at first, but my hotel is in a good central location. Better than that, the air conditioning that just turned on at 7PM.

I’ll stay here until noon tomorrow. The Cathedral was closed by the time I got here today. It should already be hot (or really hot) when I leave tomorrow; my plan is to only ride about 40 miles. That way it should only be about 65 miles to Cuenca.

My room is just beginning to cool down. I’d better go out before it gets too comfortable.

I'm in an internet bar and checked the weather for Toledo. At 8:30PM it's 93 degrees and reached a high of 99 degrees (37.2C) today. I think that qualifies as hot, and it will be fine with me if it doesn't get any hotter. I don't feel bad about riding 87 miles in that heat.


View Larger Map

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home