Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hotter, I think

June 13, 2009
This morning I walked to the train station to see if I could get one to Cuenca. I would’ve had to go to Madrid first, and that seemed too complicated. The bus or a rental car may have been other options, but I didn’t know where the bus station was and didn’t think about trying to rent a car. I did meet a couple of women at the train station who are just setting out on a four month self-supported (no hotels) bike tour. When I asked one of them “donde vas?” I got the same deer in the headlights look that I’m so good at giving. It turned out that they’re from New Orleans and Portland. I envy their free time, but not camping in this heat.

In any case things seem to have worked out since I’m a little over halfway to Cuenca, in a small town: Tarancon. I may have pushed things a little since the one-star hostal I’m staying at seems to be the only game in town. But then again one room is all I need.

After walking to the train station I made sure to be at the Toledo Cathedral at opening time: 10AM. It’s another impressive building, and it’s beyond my comprehension how they could build those massive structures almost 800 years ago. A guided tour seems like the only way to do it justice. I tried to take my time, but in the back of my mind was the fact that it was already very warm and getting hotter.


View of Toledo and the Roman Bridge


Banners are hung above the streets for shade

Setting off at 11AM it was already 91F degrees. I use whatever units are handy and it’s just not as impressive to say that it was 33C. That reminds me that this is the kind of heat I will look back on next winter when I’m commuting in 33F weather, or maybe 0 degrees C.

I very efficiently found the wrong road out of town. It wasn‘t a severe mistake, and only added a few kilometers to my route. In my defense it was one of the rare times when the signs weren’t obvious. Almost all the other times they’ve been very easy to follow.

It was hot today and I made sure to make the most of the heat by riding until 5PM. Most of the road was new blacktop which seemed to be a couple of degrees C warmer than the aged grey roads. My bike computer read 40C (in my shadow) on the new sections and 38C on grey asphalt that looked to be a couple of years old.


More open wheatlands

This evening in Tarancon it has definitely cooled down. The sky is overcast and thunderheads have formed. At 8PM the outside temperature is a cool 82F. I saw something on TV that looked like Toledo may have reached 40C.

With an early start tomorrow I might be able to finish before things heat up. I’m not sure what idiot planned my original itinerary with a 115 mile day from Toledo to Cuenca. It must have been someone that thought a few inches on the map couldn’t amount to much. They were probably sitting in the comfort of their living room and lost sight of what is really practical. In light of this failure I’ll have to double check what other tricks might be in store.


View Larger Map

3 Comments:

Anonymous Steve F said...

I'm surprised you used the word "hot" when there is still upside potential. It's like using your second lowest gear on a climb... now what are you going to do if it gets worse? The Toledo cathedral is fabulous.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous J Kordel said...

With my toes just getting feeling back after this morning's 2C commute into work, high 30's almost sounds downright appealing... I'm really enjoying living vicariously through your daily entries - keep up the good work.

5:38 PM  
Blogger BB_Gun_WB said...

Toledo was my family's favorite spot - the variety and disorientation-inducing twistyness of the streets really made an impression. That and all the sword shops. :)

Enjoy the heat. Its the only heat you'll feel all year.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home