Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Adventure begins

June 16, 2009
The word for the day was relaxation.

I climbed up to, and on the town walls. The east wall has been restored. The west wall is in original condition.


East wall, the tower at the top was the first structure, built in the 10th century.


You can walk on the restored east wall.

I took a tour of the town museum and the castle. The guide talked primarily in Spanish, but gave a few words of English for me and the Japanese tourists. It was very interesting and worth
learning more about.


Albarracin with the town wall in the background.


castle tour

Since I had the afternoon free I decided to rotate my tires. I've ridden just under 1000 miles so far with no problems. When I went to pump them up I discovered that the valve end of the pump is gone. It's been a good pump, better than many I've owned. Pumps can be the bane of a cyclists existence. I've been on rides where 2 out of 3 of us had pumps that wouldn't work. Well that's fine when there are three, and that's where the adventure is about to begin.


the culprit

Teruel is a larger town about 20 miles from here. The web shows two bike shops in town. Now I'm going to try to get the hotel staff to call them, see if they have a pump, then decide how and when to get there. I am so lucky that this happened here and not in the boonies, or whatever they're called in Spain.

Update:
Roberto works at the hotel. He called the bike shops in Teruel, but they aren't open yet. He checked on the cost of a taxi and found that it would be 80 euros round trip. That's a lot, but would still be much better than taking a bus. He then offered to give me a ride there in the morning. I didn't believe he was telling me that so he wrote it down in Spanish. We're to meet at 9:30 tomorrow morning.

We'll see what happens next,but I'm very hopeful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris and Wendy said...

Wow, what a pretty place. It has been on my list as a kayaking destination, now I have to bike it also. Wendy and I biked the north cascades hwy from newhalem to witnthrop, camped and then biked home. 150 miles 11,500' vert. Perfect weather. there was 8 of us. i hope to climb fuhrer finger this weekend. Got some good kiteboarding in last week also. summers are great.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Tom said...

What a strange coincidence to read about you losing the nose of your air pump. Lucy has the same pump, and on Sunday I just happened to notice its nose was also missing. Easier task getting a new pump than you will have, but you can add this to the list of (hopefully good) adventures that you're there to experience.

Enjoying the reading - looks like you're having a great time!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home