Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lucky in Borja

June 18, 2009
First things first, I’ll answer to the title. I got to Borja at 5PM after riding 103 miles. I had planned to stop in Tarazona but it’s another 15 miles so I got a room in the local hostal. Within 30 minutes a thunderstorm (that had been lurking behind me all afternoon) let loose. It’s been two hours and there are still huge rain showers, thunder, and lightning. Hence this hostal is perhaps the best place I’ve stayed in three weeks.


a few miles from Borja, the monster looms behind


30 minutes after getting to my room

A 7:30AM start was very pleasant. It was already 70F degrees so there was no suspense that the day was going to be very hot.


My riding partner was ready first thing this morning

The terrain was varied like yesterday, but drier and more open. One difference is that I rode through orchards today. They were harvesting cherries, which have been a real treat when I can find them in the supermarket.
Borja is about 2500’ lower and flatter than Molina. A lot of the day was easier because of the elevation drop, but there were enough climbs (including a bonus pass ten miles from Borja) that I gained 6000’ for the day.
At times I was on some very narrow roads in the middle of nowhere. It became an issue since I was going through water very fast. A couple of well placed villages with town faucets saved the day.


The truck drivers were cautious and courteous but I stepped off the road anyway.


Very well timed village faucet


I couldn't pass this picture up. Isn't this sign a little bit late?

All in all I feel much better today. I took it easy on the hills (like I had any choice in the matter), drank a lot, and ate regularly, including salty snacks.
Pamplona should be about 90 miles tomorrow. If I haven’t used up all my luck it might be a little cooler after this storm. The thunder is still booming in the distance but the rain has stopped. I’m not the only happy camper; my room faces the town park and I don’t think I’ve heard as much birdsong as right now.

It's 8PM. I'm hydrated, have updated the blog, and done my laundry. Now it's off to find a restaurant for food and drink.






View Larger Map

1 Comments:

Blogger BB_Gun_WB said...

Every day, more envious. :) Even in spite of your smell....

BB

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home