Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pamplona

June 20, 2009
I made the correct decision to stop early yesterday. The wind was still blowing today. It was recorded at 24 mph in Pamplona and definitely much stronger (low 30’s) in the hills south of here. I averaged a whopping 9.7mph over the 25 miles. It took four hours before I was in my hotel. I think I was destined to stop early yesterday, either in a hotel or curled up in the ditch.

There are still a few weeks until the Festival of San Fermin (running of the bulls) but it sounds like they’re getting an early start. A brass band has been marching around the old town all day and just came down the narrow street of my hotel. The hotel clerk warned me that the room fronting the street will be noisy. I’m pretty sure it will be louder than noisy all night.


view from my hotel balcony

The closest I got to the bulls is the big statue of bulls and runners. It could be a corny tourist attraction, but is very interesting. The kids love climbing over it also.


running of the bulls statue



Tomorrow will take me through the mountains to San Sebastian on the coast. The weather forecast is for the winds to calm to about 10mph. After the last two days I’ll believe it when I see it.


View Larger Map

1 Comments:

Anonymous Steve F said...

There's something very fun about experiencing your trip, day by day, fighting the headwinds, climbing the hills, battling the rain, and trying to communicate... while sitting here inside on my armchair eating toast with music playing on the stereo.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home