Monday, June 22, 2009

San Sebastian

June 21, 2009
I just got back to my hotel after watching the sun set at 9:50PM over the San Sebastian bay. I was here for a day in 2007 and the city is just as beautiful as I remember. The weather is really nice and I have high hopes for the final week.


summer solstice San Sebastian

Getting out of Pamplona was confusing since my map doesn’t show the new freeway. There were lots of cyclists out this morning and several of them gave me directions. I still wasn’t sure since there were large signs warning of road construction and suggesting alternate routes. That might have been okay if the alternate routes were on my map. While still debating what to do, a couple of cyclists came up to me. One of them could speak some English, said they were going my direction for 40 km, and that I could tag along. I could keep up without too much problem on the flats, but had to work hard on the steep climbs because of the extra weight I’m carrying. It was nice to ride with others for a change although we went faster than I would have on my own. After they turned off, I left the highway to follow very small roads through the mountains to San Sebastian. There was a very steep climb, a nice descent, a steep climb, then a descent that ended a few miles outside San Sebastian. Once again I was rescued by a local rider who showed me how to get to the downtown area. My biggest challenge has been to stay off the freeways. My map of this area is: 1) not up to date; and 2) doesn’t have the accuracy that I need in and out of the cities.


3 guys making hay, one on a tractor, the other two with wooden rakes

There are lots of tourists here. Pamplona and San Sebastian are both on the Camino de Santiago so there are lots of backpackers and hikers in town. I notice a few other Americans, but not as many as expected. Since it was Sunday there were probably more locals here than on the weekday. I expect it to be a little calmer tomorrow. Speaking of which, I have a little time cushion and am not sure how far I’ll go tomorrow. I plan on riding the coast until just before Bilbao, then heading south to Vitoria.


La Concha Beach in San Sebastian


View Larger Map

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home